DIY Chevron Pastel Friendship Bracelet

DIY Chevron Pastel Friendship Bracelet by claireabellemakes

As a teen, I was obsessed with makingΒ Friendship Bracelets and I’m so pleased to see they have made a comeback recently! My favourite type is the easy Chevron Friendship Bracelet made with embroidery thread and a few knots.

This is a great project to make in front of the TV, so I hope the DIY tips below will mean you can all join in my favourite 90s craft trend!

I picked up my pastel coloured threads in the charity shop. I also found a lovely vibrant pink and some royal blue for an upcoming embroidery project for my friend’s wedding gift.

DIY Chevron Pastel Friendship Bracelet by claireabellemakes

Start by cutting 5 lengths of embroidery thread each around 60cm long. Fold in half and tie a knot a couple of inches from the top. Tape down & you are ready to get started!

Divide the threads either side into colour order from the outside in. You should have symmetrical colours.

DIY Chevron Pastel Friendship Bracelet by claireabellemakes

Starting on the left hand thread (mint green in the image below), loop it around the next thread in the sequence and pull tightly to the top of the strand. Repeat on the same thread, so you have made two knots.

DIY Chevron Pastel Friendship Bracelet by claireabellemakes

Repeat this sequence in turn for each thread, knotting from left to right. You should stop when you have knotted across 4 different coloured threads.

DIY Chevron Pastel Friendship Bracelet by claireabellemakes

Now work from the right to left with the mint green thread, making two knots on each colour (4 threads). These knots are made in reverse to the ones you made on the left hand side. You should end with both mint green threads in the middle.

Now make two knots with the left hand mint green thread to close the chevron shape in the middle.

DIY Chevron Pastel Friendship Bracelet by claireabellemakes

Start with the next rows in the chevron, working from the outside in, first with the left thread (pink) and then the right. Continue working each colour in turn.DIY Chevron Pastel Friendship Bracelet by claireabellemakes

The chevron pattern should cover the top of your wrist. I continued the pattern until my bracelet measured 2-3 inches (but I have skinny wrists!).

Plait the remaining thread at each end and knot to secure. I added a bead for decoration.

DIY Chevron Pastel Friendship Bracelet by claireabellemakes

And you’re done! Now wear your Chevron Pastel Friendship Bracelet with pride, or even better – pass it to a friend. After, all it should live up to its name!

DIY Chevron Pastel Friendship Bracelet by claireabellemakes

There will be another friendship bracelet DIY on the blog next week, so watch this space.

claireabelle x

78 thoughts on “DIY Chevron Pastel Friendship Bracelet

1. Lauren says:

Had to read it a couple of times, fiddly things like this boggle my mind but you’ve explained it so well. Love love love this. Would buy this in a shop πŸ™‚

2. Rebecca says:

Brings back so many school day memories! I used to make friendship bracelets in the playground with my friends and my jazzy thread box was envied by all the cool kids! Great post for reliving my childhood πŸ™‚

3. The Giraffe's Hat says:

I have always wondered how people make these kind of bracelets!! I used to make loads of friendship bracelets as a child/teen too, but I only knew the basic ones! I need to find some thread so I can have a go πŸ™‚

4. Vicky says:

I’m loving that friendship bracelets have made a comeback – so many memories! Don’t think mine look quite as perfect as yours does, but I’m into making red, white and blue versions this week πŸ™‚

5. makingitall says:

I’m loving that friendship bracelets have made a comeback – so many memories! I don’t think mine look quite as perfect as yours does, but I’m into making red, white and blue versions this week πŸ™‚

6. Anna says:

I was only saying on Twitter this week that the friendship bracelet craze has got the better of me and that I’m going to have to have another go! Love the colours you’ve used. x

7. knitnrun4sanity says:

I love this – relatively simple but very effective! May give this a go if I have the time (or maybe do it with one of my mini mes!). Thanks for the share and I look forward to the next installment. πŸ™‚

8. charlotte says:

wow this is so pretty! wish i was good at this, i would probably tie my hands in knots doing this, haha! great post xx

9. CatkinJane says:

Really lovely colours, I hadn’t realised how they were coming back into fashion until the last week or so when we have had lots of youngsters in the shop I work in buying collections of embroidery threads and soft cottons – could have done with your tutorial when one of them was asking me how to make them!

10. raphaele42 says:

Ho thanks, I used to be obsessed with friendship bracelets as well but had totally forgotten about them. The colours you picked for your one are delightful by the way.

11. Lorraine says:

Pre-teen memories for me – this was a primary school lunchtime pastime – though never knew the chevron trick, just slanted stripes. I still remember one getting shredded by a mower when I left it behind when the bell went… lol

12. Michaela says:

Brilliant! I agree, a definite for the craft party! Used to spend my school lunchtime with one safety pinned to my sock. Lovely colours x

13. The Pampered Sparrow says:

Oh this is sooooo pretty! I’ve got back into making friendship bracelets recently, trying out new patterns etc. Boy, have I got myself in knots over it!!! Practice makes perfect though ;D xx

14. Pingback: DIY Spiral Friendship Bracelet | claireabellemakes

15. Pingback: 24 Handmade Jewelry Gifts | Random Tuesdays

16. Pingback: friendship bracelets...kid craft monday! - A girl and a glue gun

17. Shermain says:

Hi, what a great tutorial! May I know what colours you used? It would be great if you could let me know the colour codes πŸ™‚

18. Pingback: Filofax Inspiration #5 |

19. Pingback: Guest Post – DIY Paper Clip Lace Earrings |

20. Pingback: 5 Ideas for Friendship Bracelet DIY | Fashion Beads and Accessories

21. Pingback: Cool DIY Bracelets

22. Pingback: Braccialetti fai da te per estate

23. Pingback: 5 Super Easy To Make Friendship Bracelets – Ever so Clever!