Spike Stitch Crochet Handwarmers Pattern

Ooh an extra Thursday post this week! Today I am sharing this spike stitch crochet handwarmer pattern. This is a perfect crochet project for beginners and you can use any colours you like!

Spike-Stitch-Crochet-Handwarmers-Claireabellemakes

I used Jenny Watson Pure Merino Double Knitting in Rose and Cream. You will need 50g of Rose and around 20g of cream using a 4mm crochet hook (I use this one). It’s a super cosy yarn and doesn’t split at all.

If you are completely new to crochet, I would recommend learning the basic terms and stitches via this You Tube channel first.

Crochet-Mitterns-Pink-And-White

Here’s how you make the simple crochet mittens. It is a 9 row pattern repeated over two rectangle pieces joined into a mitt shape. Yarn A is Rose and Yarn B is Cream. The pattern is shown in UK terms.

Spike stitch: insert hook into 1 row below and work dc as normal.

• To begin: using yarn A, ch 36+1 for turning
  • Row 1: 1 dc into second ch from hook and dc to end. Turn.
  • Rows 2 & 3:  ch1, 1dc into each st to end of row. Turn. At end of row 3, fasten off yarn A and join yarn B.
  • Row 4: ch1, 1 dc into 1st st, *1 spike st into next st. 1 dc in next st, rep from * to end of row. Turn.
  • Row 5: Repeat row 2. Fasten off yarn B and join yarn A.
  • Row 6: Work as row 4.
  • Rows 7 – 9: Repeat rows 1-3.
  • Work 5 repeats of rows 1-9.
  • Fold your rectangle in half with the right sides facing. With yarn A, slip stitch to join the edges leaving a 1 inch gap around two thirds up for a thumb hole.
  • Weave in the ends and turn your handwarmers the right way out.
  • Repeat for the second mittern!

Crochet-Mittern-Pattern-Pink

Super snuggly for keeping your hands warm!! I am sure someone will ask – the nail polish is Pomegranate by Barry M.

Spike-Stitch-Crochet-Handwarmer-Pattern

Crochet-Spike-Stitch-Mittern-Pattern

Crochet-Handwarmer-Pattern

I would love to see if you make these mitterns/handwarmers. Make sure to share if you do!

Claireabellemakes-TwitterClaireabellemakes-PinterestClaireabellemakes-FacebookClaireabellemakes-InstagramClaireabellemakes-BlogLovinClaireabellemakes-Google+

Claireabellemakes-Signature

*Some pages on this site may contain links to outside sites, including paid affiliates.

48 thoughts on “Spike Stitch Crochet Handwarmers Pattern

1. Melissa E. says:

I only have a 4.25mm hook will that work for this pattern. I really want to make it but I don’t want to finish them and find out that there to big. And also I have small hand so they really would be way too big. Thanx! For the help!

2. Pingback: DIY Comfy Crochet Handwarmers

3. Pingback: DIY Spike Stitch Crochet Hand Warmers | Styleoholic

4. Pingback: Picks of the Week for November 14, 2014 at Hands Occupied

5. Joelle says:

Hi. These are WAY cute! I am just wondering what the measurements of the rectangle are before you fold it up and slip stitch it closed. Thanks!

6. Joelle says:

Hi. I hope I hear back. I am a little confused on the pattern. After I do row 7-9 which is row 1-3, am I starting at row 4? After row 9 it says to repeat the pattern 5 times, but if I start at row 1 again, I will have the same color six times and no spikes. Thanks.

• Joelle says:

Wish I could figure out how to post a picture. My first 3 rows are blue dc (1-3) Next two rows are white with row 4 being the spike and row 5 being dc. Row 6 – 9 are blue. Row 6 being row 4 (spike), and the rest dc: 7-9 which is also rows 1-3. Now if I start back at row 1 and go through 9, I will have 3 more rows of blue before I switch to white and spike again. So after row 9 (3), I would go to row 4 for my spike again. Did that help any? =)

7. Pingback: 55 Last Minute Knit & Crochet Gift Ideas | Hands Occupied

8. Crystal says:

Okay, these are written in UK style and I live “across the pond” so I’m totally thrown. Can you please give me the equivalents on these?

9. JackInTheBox says:

Why aren’t they just worked in rounds? Would they turn out the same if you did work them in rounds? Had anyone tried that?

• claireabellemakes says:

Hi there. I made the pattern in rows so that it would be suitable for beginners who hadn’t yet learn to crochet in the round. It would certainly work in rounds, so please let me know how you get on!

• JackInTheBox says:

Thanks! 🙂 I’m one of those hippie teenagers that tries new things all the time, and I really have a knack for crocheting. Can’t wait to see how they turn out!

10. Pingback: DIY Crochet Handwarmer Patterns {7 Free Designs} - EverythingEtsy.com

11. Tonya says:

It is refreshing to see someone call them handwarmers and not fingerless gloves most people don’t know the difference between fingerless mitts, gloves and in your case handwarmers. Job well done I can’t wait to make some for Christmas my girly girls in the family will love these my hubby might as well!

12. Pingback: Patrones de crochet para calentadores - Craftear

13. Tracy says:

I’ve been looking for patterns of handwarmers for affordable Xmas gifts for my best friend’s 6 children, these are beautiful and easy! Thank you so much for the pattern!

14. Jeanne Mellander says:

Why would I change the dc to school if using US terms? I don’t understand that. I’m looking forward to making several pairs for those little extra gifts that we all like to give.

• claireabellemakes says:

Hi Jeanne. In the UK we call the US single crochet a double crochet. Hence the instruction. Our UK double crochet is a US treble crochet! So in order to get the pattern as shown in the photographs, you will need to use a US single crochet (sc) throughout. I hope that makes sense!

15. Pingback: DIY Crochet Ear Warmer Pattern -

16. Pingback: 101 Simple Crochet Projects {Handmade Gifts}

17. Pingback: Spike Stitch Crochet Handwarmers Pattern

18. Sherrie Smith says:

Love the pattern, so in USA this is all single crochet. I can’t wait to make a pair for myself for caring wood. Thanks again