Vanilla Macarons

Vanilla Macarons by Claireabellemakes

My first bake with “THE KITCHEN AID” was naturally going to be macarons. I have to fuel my obsession somehow and making them myself is cheaper than a train trip to Laduree in London. So I share with you today my adapted recipe for Vanilla Macarons.

Vanilla Macarons by Claireabellemakes

Ingredients (makes 16):

• 75g Ground Almonds
  • 115g Icing Sugar
  • 2 x Egg White (aged are best)
  • 50g Caster Sugar
  • 1 x Vanilla Pod
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 50g Unsalted Butter (filling)
  • 115g Icing Sugar (filling)
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract (filling)

Sift ground almonds and icing sugar into a bowl. Scrape seeds from the vanilla pod and mix well. You can whizz in the food processor to get a fine mix if you prefer. Line a tray with baking paper.

I use a nifty silicone mat with baking paper on so I have a guide when piping. I’d highly recommend them (this one is from Squires Kitchen).

Vanilla Macarons by Claireabellemakes

Whisk the egg whites until holding soft peaks. Some argue that aged egg whites are not necessary, but I find that it does make a difference to the texture of the macaron and the feet. (You should separate the egg whites and store in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days before baking.)

Gradually add the caster sugar and vanilla extract continuing to whisk until the meringue is glossy and stiff.

Fold in the almond and icing sugar mixture in 3 portions until throughly blended. Cut and fold until the consistency is shiny and thick.

Pipe onto your baking sheet in 32 rounds using a plain nozzle (these will be sandwiched to make 16 total).Vanilla Macarons by Claireabellemakes

The next step is important as it ensures the macarons are even and without air bubbles. Tap the baking tray firmly onto your work surface a couple of times.

The macarons must now be left to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature. This will allow them to form a ‘shell’.

Preheat your oven to 160 degrees Celsius (325 Fahrenheit / Gas Mark 3).  I baked my macarons for 6 minutes in a fan oven, but I have practised A LOT so it all depends on your oven and a bit of trial and error.

Leave the macarons to cool for 10 minutes before peeling off the baking tray.

Vanilla Macarons by Claireabellemakes

You are looking for your macarons to have ‘feet’ (the crispy edge on the underside), which will shrink slightly as you remove them from the oven. If you didn’t leave your macarons to dry before baking or you overbeat the mixture, you will end up with cracked or feetless macarons.

For the filling, beat together the butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract until light and creamy. Assemble the macarons by sandwiching each one with the vanilla buttercream.

Vanilla Macarons by Claireabellemakes

The macarons will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days in a sealed container. However, if you live in my house they will not last that long as G and I love them!

Vanilla Macarons by Claireabellemakes

Have you ever made macarons?

Claireabellemakes-TwitterClaireabellemakes-PinterestClaireabellemakes-FacebookClaireabellemakes-InstagramClaireabellemakes-BlogLovinClaireabellemakes-Google+

Claireabellemakes-Signature

36 thoughts on “Vanilla Macarons

1. Elena @ Randomly Happy says:

These look amazing! I’ve always had issues with macaroons but this is really helpful, and had definitely given me the inspiration to try these myself. Thanks so much for this!

x Elena @ Randomly Happy
    ps if there any any leftovers feel free to pass them my way 😉

2. victoria says:

I have to confess im not a fan of the macaroon because Im not a nut-liker but they sure do look pretty, my eyes were more fixated on the gorgeous Kitchen Aid though!

3. thehouseofjones says:

Hello! I’ve just stumbled upon your blog, lovely posts! I’ve always wanted to try macaroons, must pluck up the courage! You’ve made it look so simple 🙂
    I have a Kitchen Aid too, they are immense, how can one feel so much love towards a piece of kitchen kit?!
    Jones x

• claireabellemakes says:

Thanks for following! I will have a look at your blog today for sure, it seems we have a few things in common. You must must must try the macarons, you will not want to bake anything else ever again in your kitchen aid 😉 x

4. sayithandmade says:

How do yours look so perfect?! I’m always scared to try recipes like this that need you to be a bit more exact (I’m a bung it all in and hope for the best kind of girl!). These look so lovely that I might have to give them a go though.

5. Jo says:

Wow, these are stunning and clearly delicious! I’ve never made macaroons before as always been rather terrified…I hear they’re pretty hard to make but maybe I’ll give them a go! Lovely photos btw Claire! 🙂 x

6. Sue Webb says:

Oh they look gorgeous, I tried to make these once and I think I overbeat them because they didn’t look like yours, however a gang of teenagers scoffed the lot and declared them yummy so all was not lost. Anyway think I’ll have another bash pretty soon.

7. Hook, Line & Sink Her says:

Those look so delicious! I’ve never thought of weighing the price of a mixer against the cost of train fare before. Genius! Now I just need to find a bakery in Scotland selling super delicious meringues and buying a mixer seems like a saving! 🙂 xx

8. jmcvl says:

I NEED me one of those macaron bendy cooking plate thingys… I also NEED a kitchenaid but that is a logner term dream… I know you have pointed me in the right direction before, but where is the best place to get one? (the cooking plate bendy thingy- not the kitchen aid, obviously) xx

ps your macarons look so good! I want to eat them

9. Pingback: Instalife: February |