Today I’m sharing one of my favourite recipes for a TV dinner, Cheese and Bacon Potato Skins. I serve these with sour cream and sweetcorn.
My Mum used to make these for us when we were younger and for me they define comfort food!
- 4 x large baking potatoes
- 200g Grated mature cheese
- Streaky bacon
- 1-2 eggs
- Splash of milk
- Knob of butter
- Seasoning (salt, pepper, mustard, herbs)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius or 180 for fan ovens.
- Prick the potatoes and microwave for 10-12 minutes until slightly soft.
- Meanwhile, grill the streaky bacon until crispy. I used 6 rashers for the amount above.
- Cut each potato in half and scoop the potato out of the skin. Be careful to keep the skins in tact and place the potato in a large bowl.
- Mash the potato and add the knob of butter and splash of milk. Mash well.
- Lightly beat the egg in a separate cup and gradually add to the mash potato mix.
- Add the cheese and chopped up bacon, season well.
- MASH MASH MASH the mixture until is it free from lumps and soft and slightly sticky in consistency.
- Place the potato skins onto a baking tray and into the preheated oven for 5 minutes until gently browned.
- Remove from the oven and spoon the mash mixture into the skins. Top with a little grated cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes.
These are great for a chilly autumn evening and you can even make them veggie by just adding cheese and sweetcorn to the mixture.
Let me know if you try them!
I am sharing this post over at Handmade Monday, come and see what others have been up to this week!