Knitting with All the Fun of the Fair

One of my favourite places to buy quirky habberdashery supplies is  All the Fun of the Fair. I frequently use their online shop for yarn, patterns, unusual buttons, lace and accesories.

Located in Kingly Court, off Carnaby Street in Soho (London), All the Fun of the Fair has been open for 5 years.

In addition to the cute shop and online space, they often visit craft, handmade and vintage fairs and markets such as the recent Soho Flea Market on Dean Street and the Wealden Times Midsummer Fair in Kent (14/15/16 June). Here’s hoping they will extend the stall to Cambridge one day, perhaps at the Made it Market? *hint hint*

In a bid to improve my knitting pattern skills, I purchased the Chunky Knitted Cushion Cover Pattern for a reasonable £2.50. It is a nice simple knit and purl project with Cygnet Seriously Chunky Yarn and 10mm needles. I ordered the bluebell colour, but when it arrived it was more of a lilac tone, so I decided this would be a gift for my sister rather than another cushion for my spare room.

After a few blips in understanding the pattern repeats and many cups of tea later, I had finished the cover. I do love how a chunky knit grows so quickly! It was a 2 evening project with a bit of telly watching in between. A nice plump cushion insert made it feel really big! My sister was chuffed with her handmade gift.

The great range of Tea Cosies available from All the Fun of the Fair are selling like hot cakes at the moment, with everyone in patriotic spirits. They also recommend Max Alexander’s ‘Knitter’s Accessories’, Lucie Ellen’s fabulous wooden jewellery and Claire Coyne of Diamond Dolls ‘Lavender Ladies’ – small lavender filled dolls that are perfect to  make your sock draw smell lovely! I’m a sucker for lavender. The best thing is, all items for sale are handmade :-)

This week, I made a couple of other purchases from their quirky range including the ‘I Love Sewing’ Spool Holder (perfect for my vintage stash), Fancy Trim Pack of Lace and Sew Crafty Gift Tags.

I’ll leave you with Jaqueline from All the Fun of the Fair’s best craft tip:

Try something new. When you’re an expert in a specific craft, be it knitting, crochet or felting, it’s always good to try your hand at a new one. The skills you learn from one can always be transferred to another and help keep your mind creative and filled with new ideas! And if it doesn’t work out, then you just go onto the next one!

claireabelle x

I linked up with Rouge & Whimsy, Nifty Thrifty Things and Sew Many Ways for this post.

Rouge & Whimsy

This entry was posted in Craft, Handmade and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Knitting with All the Fun of the Fair

1. Jodie says:

So cute. I would love to visit England. Looks like lots of fun things.

2. Very nice, I love the tags particularly!

3. All the Fun of the Fair says:

Love this.Thanks so much.I love Cambridge and would love to do your fair.Buzz x

4. Anna says:

I did a little ‘squeeee!’ while reading this because I adore quirky craft shops. I also love woolly cushions. I’m naturally a cold fish so I gravitate to all things warm and woolly. Will have a peruse of the online shop. x

• I think quirky craft shops are definitely a good thing about the UK :-) The cushion was so snuggly once complete and I was a wee bit sad to give it away, so I am going to make another in bright red for my lounge! x

5. Cybèle says:

Love the labels and the cushion! and very true about trying other crafts – it’s all too easy to stick with ‘tried and trusted’…

6. theowlclub says:

Wow, I love that cushion! Learning to knit is on my to-do list before my next birthday (March) and this inspired me even more. I never would have thought something like that could be achieved in 2 evenings! :)

• Thanks :-) If you want to learn to knit you should get a book called ‘Knitty Gritty’, it’s a great one for beginners and has some simple projects in. If you ever want to meet for a knit and natter let me know x

7. Lucy says:

I love the spool holder! So cool. Great post.. All very helpful info :) xx

8. Mimi Finerty says:

that cushion looks super comfy and cuddly. love your product labels. really cool!!!

9. Nnenna says:

Oh, that totally looks like the kind of store that I could spend hours in! Also, I love the way your chunky knitted cushion came out- it’s so pretty! :)

10. Donna says:

Ooh, I like that cushion. You did a great job. The chunky knit is lovely. I’m a bit scared of knitting, but I would like to give it a try. I’m planning a trip to London some time this year, so I’ll have to visit All The Fun Of The Fair :)

• Hi Donna, thanks for visiting my blog! I am scared of crochet and admired your cushion, so we should definitely take the plunge and cross to the ‘other side’ to learn ;-)

If you do visit, I’d love to see what you buy!

x

11. Meredith says:

I loved visiting this yarn shop! The spool holder you purchased is too cute for words! :-)

12. Pingback: Adventures in Crochet | claireabellemakes