Knitting with All the Fun of the Fair

Note: All The Fun of the Fair has now closed.

One of my favourite places to buy quirky habberdashery supplies is  All the Fun of the Fair. I frequently use their online shop for yarn, patterns, unusual buttons, lace and accesories.

Located in Kingly Court, off Carnaby Street in Soho (London), All the Fun of the Fair has been open for 5 years.

In addition to the cute shop and online space, they often visit craft, handmade and vintage fairs and markets such as the recent Soho Flea Market on Dean Street and the Wealden Times Midsummer Fair in Kent.

In a bid to improve my knitting pattern skills, I purchased a Chunky Knitted Cushion Cover Pattern for a reasonable £2.50. It is a nice simple knit and purl project with Cygnet Seriously Chunky Yarn and 10mm needles. I ordered the bluebell colour, but when it arrived it was more of a lilac tone, so I decided this would be a gift for my sister rather than another cushion for my spare room.

After a few blips in understanding the pattern repeats and many cups of tea later, I had finished the cover. I do love how a chunky knit grows so quickly! It was a 2 evening project with a bit of telly watching in between. A nice plump cushion insert made it feel really big! My sister was chuffed with her handmade gift.

This week, I made a couple of other purchases from their quirky range including the ‘I Love Sewing’ Spool Holder (perfect for my vintage stash), Fancy Trim Pack of Lace and Sew Crafty Gift Tags.

I’ll leave you with Jaqueline from All the Fun of the Fair’s best craft tip:

Try something new. When you’re an expert in a specific craft, be it knitting, crochet or felting, it’s always good to try your hand at a new one. The skills you learn from one can always be transferred to another and help keep your mind creative and filled with new ideas! And if it doesn’t work out, then you just go onto the next one!

Claire x

24 thoughts on “Knitting with All the Fun of the Fair

1. Anna says:

I did a little ‘squeeee!’ while reading this because I adore quirky craft shops. I also love woolly cushions. I’m naturally a cold fish so I gravitate to all things warm and woolly. Will have a peruse of the online shop. x

• claireabellemakes says:

I think quirky craft shops are definitely a good thing about the UK :-) The cushion was so snuggly once complete and I was a wee bit sad to give it away, so I am going to make another in bright red for my lounge! x

2. theowlclub says:

Wow, I love that cushion! Learning to knit is on my to-do list before my next birthday (March) and this inspired me even more. I never would have thought something like that could be achieved in 2 evenings! :)

• claireabellemakes says:

Thanks :-) If you want to learn to knit you should get a book called ‘Knitty Gritty’, it’s a great one for beginners and has some simple projects in. If you ever want to meet for a knit and natter let me know x

3. Nnenna says:

Oh, that totally looks like the kind of store that I could spend hours in! Also, I love the way your chunky knitted cushion came out- it’s so pretty! :)

4. Donna says:

Ooh, I like that cushion. You did a great job. The chunky knit is lovely. I’m a bit scared of knitting, but I would like to give it a try. I’m planning a trip to London some time this year, so I’ll have to visit All The Fun Of The Fair :)

• claireabellemakes says:

Hi Donna, thanks for visiting my blog! I am scared of crochet and admired your cushion, so we should definitely take the plunge and cross to the ‘other side’ to learn ;-)

If you do visit, I’d love to see what you buy!

x